13 December 2020
pittsburg Purple Mum challenge
Growth Hints from CCCS members to obtain these Pittsburg Purple blooms
(disclaimer -- nothing is guaranteed -
1. one member watered almost every day with diluted strength Miracle Grow. 1tsp/gallon water until they show color. Also mixed 1tbls Osmocote when potting up. Sun all-day, 10 am on. Disbud regularly and allowed 3 stems/plant.
2 Another member's plants were on the deck and got late a.m. sun to midafternoon. Being off ground got better airflow.
3. Flowering times varied from late October to mid-November.
4 Another comment --Such a beautiful Mum.
Which is your favorite Pittsburg Purple plant?
Let us know, send a message from our contact page, include the image number.
Chrysanthemums generally symbolize longevity, fidelity, joy, and optimism. Various colors symbolize other important meanings as well. Violet (purple) chrysanthemums symbolize a wish to get well.
21 June 2019
Growing Note for young mums helping the survival rate
Mums are heavy feeders! Please make sure that you have applied a time release granular fertilizer to the surface of your growing medium (1 tsp per 4"-6").
ALSO use a water-soluble fertilizer (either diluted with every water or full strength once a week).
Your plants need this boost of fertilizers because the fertilizer is quickly depleted by heat, rain, and watering.
DO not jump your young plants from small (3"- 4" pots up into large containers 8"-10"). Mums like to have their roots completely fill a pot before being moved up.
Remember: NO moisture control additives in your soil mixes.
Preparing Mums to Survive tropical storms and hurricanes
Tropical storm hurricane season is mid-May to November.
This is also the active growth season for chrysanthemums.
When preparing for an impending storm keep in mind that your growing chrysanthemums will need the care to survive the wind and heavy rain.
At the first hint of stormy weather search for a safe location to shelter them. Some options might be the garage, laundry room, basement or closed in porch. Mum stems (laterals) are tall now and can be so easily broken... so be sure to stake and secure any laterals before you move your mums.
Be Very careful moving chrysanthemums to a new location.
A good preventive measure is to give them a good drenching of any pesticide of your choice so that uninvited guests (pests) are also brought into the house.
Sizzling Succulents by Brie Arthur speaker June 2019 NOTES general meeting
1. Store water in their leaves 2. Best grown in full-part sun 3. Actively grow in heat of summer 4.Prefer WELL DRAINED (not dry) soil
5. Keep dry over winter 6. Store in a cool, dry environment during cold season 7. Some are winter hardy- they are usually less showy
8.The prettiest ones are frost tender 9.It is okay to TREAT THEM LIKE AN ANNUAL- shopping is fun 10.Malone’s Greenhouse in Charlotte is best source
TOP 5 HARDY SUCCULENTS:
1. Delosperma ‘Fire Spinner’ 2. Orostachys aggregatum 3. Orostachys iwarenge
4. Sedum rupestre ‘Angelina’ 5. Sedum tetractinum
BRIE’S FAVORITE SUCCULENTS:
1. Aptenia cordifolia 2. Any variety of Echeveria 3. Any variety of Graptopetalum 4. Graptosedum 'California Sunset'
5. Graptoveria 'Fred Ives' 6. Kalanchoe thyrsifolia 7. Sedeveria 'Jet Beads' 8. Sedum nussbaumerianum
9. Sedum pachyphytum 10.Senecio serpens
FB: Brie Grows IG: BrieThePlantLady